Monday, February 19, 2018

A PA’s Positive Outlook: If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again

PA Jazmine Kwong Western University of Health Sciences

PA Jazmine Kwong Western University of Health Sciences

This interview is the latest in an Accepted blog series featuring interviews with medical school applicants and students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top medical schools and the med school application process. And now, introducing Jazmine Kwong…

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? When did you graduate?

Jazmine: I’m from Southern California and went to USC (University of Southern California) in LA. I graduated in 2014 with a Neuroscience degree.

Accepted: Where are you currently attending PA school? What year are you?

Jazmine: I’m attending PA school at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA. I’m a first-year PA student!

Accepted: Why PA school? Did you always want to be in the medical field?

Jazmine: I was pre-med up until my third year in college and I switched to PA when I shadowed an Ortho PA. I shadowed MDs and NPs after that and felt the PA profession fit me best!

Accepted: Did you experience any challenges on your journey to PA acceptance? How did you overcome them?

Jazmine: I applied three times and it was very hard to handle rejection. I had to remind myself how much I wanted to become a PA and that everything happens for a reason. I have a great support system and had to constantly remind myself that it’s not a matter of IF I’ll get into PA school, it’s a matter of WHEN I’ll get there!

Accepted: What has been the biggest challenge for you in PA school thus far?

Jazmine: Getting into the groove of things and figuring out what works for me. I was told that what worked for you in undergrad, would not work for you in graduate school. I had anxiety trying to figure out my study methods and what worked for me. Ultimately, I learn and study the same way I did in undergrad!

Accepted: What inspired you to want to share your journey with others? Has this helped you find some balance in your life?

Jazmine: I know what it feels like to be rejected time and time again and I understand the emotional roller coaster this process inflicts on an applicant. It was difficult for me to find resources when I was applying and I wanted more help and insight. I want to be that person for applicants now, or at least steer them in the right direction! Sharing my experience has made me very grateful for where I am today. I constantly reflect on what I did three to two years ago. When I’m not studying, I’m replying back to current pre-PAs and updating my Instagram with helpful tips and tricks. It definitely creates balance in my life!

Accepted: If you could tell PA applicants anything, what would you tell them?

Jazmine: Keep going and do your best. Reach out for guidance and ask questions. Let the fire inside you burn brighter than the fire around you. You got this!

Accepted: Lastly, what are your dreams for yourself and your career after PA school?

Jazmine: I hope to be established in a hospital or a private clinic! As of right now, I love surgery and more specifically, neurosurgery. I cannot wait for rotations next year to see what I’ll enjoy!

You can continue following Jazmine’s story on Instagram (@jazminek_pa) and on her blog www.jazminek-pa.com. Thank you Jazmine for sharing your story with us, we wish you much success!

For one-on-one guidance on your med school applications, check out our catalog of med school admissions services.

Do you want to be featured in Accepted’s blog? If you want to share your med school journey with the world (or at least with our readers), email us at bloggers@accepted.com.

10 Tips for Acceptance to a PA program - download your cheat sheet today!

Accepted | Helping applicants like you apply confidently and successfully for over 20 years. <<Get Accepted!>>

 

Related Resources:

The Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes, a free guide
Andrea Benedict: Life as a Physician Assistant, a podcast episode
• 5 More Tips to Help You Become a Physician Assistant

The post A PA’s Positive Outlook: If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.


from Accepted Admissions Blog
https://blog.accepted.com/interview-with-pa-student-jazmine-kwong/

No comments:

Post a Comment